Saturday, May 14, 2011

You know "ye" are a douchebag when. . .

I always pride myself on the fact that I don't discriminate against any particular group of people.  There are a million and six good reasons to actually dislike people, but blindly judging them is just never okay.  Unless. . .

. . . I was reminded today of the ONE group of people against which I discriminate. Loudly, openly, and often.  Renaissance Faire performers.  I have so many issues with these people that I don't even know where to begin.  For starters, this is not the 15th century; "Fair" doesn't have a fucking "e" on the end of it.  Secondly, there are many, many great works of literature that I absolutely will not read simply because I can't stand all the "ye"s and "methink"s.  If I can't even tolerate it long enough to read Shakespeare, then I sure as hell am not okay with a 35 year-old man in a centaur costume doing it. 

These things aside, the best reason I can think of to discriminate against these people is that they are just flat out annoying.  Even in real life.  Back in college I used to waitress 3rd shift, and these Renaissance Faire freaks would come in ALL THE DAMN TIME.  They were nice enough, but they wouldn't drop the 15th century speak. . . It was almost like they were rebelling against thie modern world.  As though an era where daily bathing is a good idea and being an annoying douchebag is frowned upon was just sucking the life out of them.

So if your favorite past times include wood whittling, sword fighting, and and dressing as the king of something, then ye just might at the top of my "good lord, how to you make it through a day without someone kidney-punching you" list.  That is all. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment