Wednesday, May 25, 2011

"Let's Get Physical, Physical."

For those of you who have recently asked about some of my FB posts in regards to the running I've been doing, allow me to clarify:  I'm probably using the term running a little too losely.  So, what I meant to say is, I've been "running" lately.  Driveway laps, to be specific.  Why driveway laps, you ask?  There are a couple of really good reasons.

1)  I'm terrfied of dogs, and some a-hole in the neighborhood walks his doberman without a leash.  And I don't want any part of that situation.

2)  Since I smoke, and have been grossly out of shape for the past 3 years, it's not out of the question that I could have a heart attack.  If that happens, I'd like to be really close to my cell phone.  Can you text 911 these days?  If not, I'm going to need a back-up plan.  Maybe one of those neck things with the emergency button that old people wear. 

3) People in Kent can't drive for crap.  A lady in an SUV literally came about six inches from running me over a few weeks ago (and I was in a cross walk with the "walk" signal!), and I narrowly avoid accidents at least once a week.  Usually because some college kid on on a cell phone or going 60 in a 35.  Or both.  So I'm not going to take any chances running in the street.

4) I won't use a trail.  See reasons 1 and 2.

The neighbors probably think I'm mildly retarded, but I'm okay with that.  "There's that neighbor girl running laps around her house and driveway again.  Do you think she's slow, Fred?"  The good news is that they smile real big and wave when they see me now.  If I play along, maybe I can get a popcicle or something out of the deal.  If there's anything I've learned about social interations, it's that people love to give sugary treats to mentally handicapped adults.  I don't really understand it, but I don't make the rules.  I just observe.

So there you have it, people.  Driveway laps.  But don't judge. . . I've lost almost 15 pounds in the last 2.5 months, so runninng is running is running is running.  My version is just a little more embarrassing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment